Thursday 15 December 2016

Another Year in Books

Last week, one of my book groups had our Christmas dinner (at the Olive Branch, Marsden, where we had a very good meal).  Very sadly, we have lost one of our members this year - she died in the summer after a short illness, unexpectedly and far too young.  We thought of her and remembered that at last year's Christmas dinner, she was with us.

As is now traditional, I gave everyone a Christmas card, showing the books we have read this year.


The books are:
  • Anna of the Five Towns, Arnold Bennett
  • On the Black Hill, Bruce Chatwyn,
  • Brooklyn, Colm Tóibín
  • Me and Mr J, Rachel McIntyre
  • The Sisters Brothers, Patrick deWitt
  • An Officer and A Spy, Robert Harris
  • Sweet Caress, William Boyd
  • Exposure, Helen Dunmore
A good selection of books - there were none that I really didn't like.  (That has happened in the past, when some books have been very hard work to read.)   I enjoyed the last three very much, and I think my overall favourite was An Officer and A Spy.   It's a fascinating account of the Dreyfus Affair in France, which I knew nothing about at all.

Our next book (for our meeting in January)  is Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.  I haven't read it before, and haven't seen the 1947 film with Richard Attenborough as Pinkie,  either.  I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...