Monday 5 June 2017

Disco Sweaters

One of my favourite blogs is The Knitting Needle and the Damage Done, by Orange Swan.  She reviews knitting magazines, and often exactly nails just what's wrong with a design.  And occasionally she has a post collecting together photos of unusual (aka seriously weird) knitted garments.  Her most recent post is one of those:  Lederhosen and Tutus and Other Knitting Fables.  It included this knitting pattern:


1980s vintage knitting pattern; picture knits
Sirdar leaflet 6065
Her caption is "Penelope had come up with the perfect way to get men to buy her drinks when out clubbing."

It's a super example of 1980s picture knits.  I looked for the leaflet in the Knitting & Crochet Guild collection, and found that it's one of a small group of "Disco" knits.  Here are the others:

1980s vintage knitting pattern; picture knits
Sirdar leaflet 6062

1980s vintage knitting pattern; picture knits
Sirdar leaflet 6063


1980s vintage knitting pattern; picture knits
Sirdar leaflet 6064

You were evidently supposed to wear your Disco sweater with skintight metallic lycra in a bright colour, and BIG hair.  But a long-sleeved sweater in a thick yarn (DK) seems very impractical for a disco - you'd boil.  I can see that one or two of them might also do for everyday sweaters - the giant daisy, and the hearts.  Maybe even the butterfly.  (It was the 80s after all, when picture sweaters were normal wear).    But the lips/straw/glass combo - as Orange Swan says, that's just begging someone to buy you a drink.

6 comments:

  1. I can't picture discos and sweaters either - maybe for the end of the night, while walking home, but not for dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the 80s! I had a brightly coloured mohair baggy batwing jumper - very itchy to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a jumper knitted in thick cotton, in white with a design in navy, yellow and several other colours. Rather restrained, looking back, and not itchy either.

      Delete
  3. I knitted the heart one in black with white hearts in 1984 I loved it. Would love to do another if I can find the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knitted the heart one in 1984 in black with white hearts and I loved it. Wish I could find the pattern again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you wear it for discos, I wonder? You could try contacting Sirdar for a copy of the pattern, perhaps.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...